Pimiento Cheesy Mac
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound macaroni or any short cut pasta or whole-wheat short cut pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated or very finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1/2 palmful
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/3 palmful
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded yellow extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
Bring a large sauce pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Meanwhile, in another sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat, add the garlic and onions and saute until translucent and fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute more. Whisk the milk into the sauce and heat until thickened. Season with the paprika, dry mustard and black pepper, to taste. Melt in the cheese. Drain the pasta, and add it to the sauce along with the pimientos. Serve immediately or transfer it to a shallow dish and brown under the hot broiler for a crunchy top.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray