Two pounds of pasta, and red, white and green sauces, in under 30 -- this menu ROCKS!
- 2 pounds penne rigate pasta
- 2 cups Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (3-ounce) jar or 1/4 cup pignoli nuts
- 1 clove garlic, cracked away from skin
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes,
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn or shredded
Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
- 3/4 pound gorgonzola cheese, cut into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put large pot of water on to boil for penne. Salt boiling water and cook penne to al dente.
In food processor, combine parsley, pignoli, garlic. Process and stream in about 1/4 cup evoo. Remove parsley paste to a large serving bowl. Stir in pepper and grated cheese. Add remaining evoo, stir to combine.
Heat a medium pot on stove top over medium low to medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, garlic and onion for the tomato basil sauce. Let onions cook with garlic slowly over 15 minutes, be careful not to brown onions -- just keep an eye on the hat and stir the onions frequently. After 15 minutes, stir in tomatoes and raise heat to warm tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil and wilt it into the sauce. Remove sauce from heat. When ready to serve, place sauce in the bottom of a large serving bowl to toss with hot pasta.
In a second medium pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in wine, reduce 15 to 20 seconds. Whisk in stock, then cream. Add sage, then pieces of cheese. Stir until cheese melts into sauce. Simmer over low heat until ready to serve. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Place 1/3 drained pasta in bowl with pesto, 1/3 with tomato basil sauce and 1/3 in another serving dish. Combine pasta with pesto, then coat and toss the second bowl of pasta with red sauce, to the last bowl, pour the gorgonzola sauce down over the pasta and toss.
Serve the three pastas family style or buffet style, immediately.