- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small or medium eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 large tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted
- A couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 4 sesame sub rolls, split lengthwise
- 12 thin slices smoked fresh mozzarella or fresh mozzarella
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Meanwhile, arrange cooling racks over 2 rimmed baking sheets. Trim the tops and bottoms of the eggplants and thinly slice the eggplants and the tomatoes. Brush the eggplant with seasoned oil, using a pastry brush, and arrange the slices on 1 of the racks. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on the other rack and season both the eggplant and tomatoes with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast until the eggplant is tender and slightly shriveled up, about 15 minutes.
While the eggplant and tomatoes roast, add the basil, parsley, nuts, Parmigiano, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. With the processor running, stream in about 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil to form a thick pesto. Arrange about 1/2 cup of arugula leaves on each sub roll bottom. Top with layered slices of roasted eggplant, mozzarella, and roasted tomatoes. Spread some pesto on the roll tops and set in place. Cut the subs in half and serve.