Roasted Vegetable Tabbouleh with Grilled Flat Bread and Yogurt-Tahini Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, seeded and chopped
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and diced in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup EVOO, plus some for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 packed cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 naan or pita
- Shredded romaine
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), drained and chopped, optional garnish
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Boil 1 1/2 cups water and pour over the bulgur in a mixing bowl. Cover and let stand to cool to room temp, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange the fennel, red bell pepper, chile pepper and zuchhini on a baking sheet and dress with EVOO and salt and pepper. Arrange the butternut squash on a larger baking sheet, dress with EVOO and season with salt and pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg. Roast until the vegetables and squash are tender and brown at the edges, 17 to 20 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk up two-thirds of the lemon juice, about 1/2 cup EVOO, and some salt and pepper with 2 cloves garlic. Working in a large bowl of water, separate the pomegranate seeds and add to the mixing bowl, along with the parsley, mint, onions and bulgur; toss to combine.
Cool the roasted vegetables and combine with the tabbouleh. Store, covered, in the fridge for a make-ahead salad supper.
To serve, heat a griddle pan and douse with a splash of water. Add the naan and blister 30 seconds on each side. Fill each naan with shredded lettuce and tabbouleh salad and top with the dressing, nuts and optional chopped hot pickled vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen