Sage Sausage Bites with Balsamic Apricot Dip
- 1 tablespoon evoo -- extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds bulk Italian sweet sausage meat
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, 4 or 5 sprigs, slivered
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 cup apricot all-fruit spread or, apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs, a couple of handfuls
- Suggested beverages:
- Italian beer (Moretti, Peroni) and wines ( chianti classico, primitivo, nero d'avola)
- San Pelligrino water and sliced citrus fruit
Preheat a small pot over medium heat and the oven to 425 degrees F.
To the pot, add oil and onion. Saute the onion for 1 minute.
In a mixing bowl, combine sweet sausage and chopped sage.
Next, add balsamic vinegar to onion and reduce by half, 1 minute. Remove vinegar from heat and combine with apricot all-fruit spread or preserves and spicy mustard. Stir until mustard is fully incorporated. Dip will be glossy and brown in color.
Add 2 tablespoonfuls of apricot dip to bulk sausage and mix. Form meat into bite size nuggets, coat in bread crumbs then place on nonstick cookie sheet. Recipe will make 20 to 24 pieces. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until evenly browned, turning occasionally. Drain, then serve with party picks for dipping with remaining balsamic apricot mustard dip.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.