Spanish Nibbles: Hot Olives with Citrus and Spice, Marcona Almonds, Paprika Toasted Chick Peas
- 4 cups mixed good quality olives
- 3 to 4 strips orange peel
- 3 to 4 strips lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1/3 palm full
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Marcona almonds (available in bulk food section of your market) or, toasted peeled whole almonds
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
Make a double layer pouch of foil for the olives. Add citrus peel, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds to olives then top with olive oil. Seal the pouch and shake it to distribute the spices and oil. Place in hot oven at any temperature or on outdoor grill to heat them through.
Place the almonds in a small decorative serving dish.
Place chick peas in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook 15 minutes until crisp and dry. In the last 5 minutes, season the chick peas with paprika salt and pepper. If you season them up too soon, the paprika will blacken and become bitter. Place the cooked chick peas in a small serving bowl. Place the olives on a platter and cut the pouch open to expose them. Place the small serving dishes for nuts and peas on the platter alongside olives. Place a ramekin or other small cup out to collect olive pits.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray