- Coarse salt
- 1 package fresh mushroom or chicken prosciutto or spinach filled tortellini (recommended: Contadina or Buitoni brands) available on dairy aisle in most markets
- 1/2 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 (15-ounce) can baby artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1 red roasted pepper, drained and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, the juice of 1 wedge
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, a couple of splashes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried leaves, eyeball it
- Black pepper
- A handful sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, coarsely chopped
Bring 5 or 6 inches of water to a boil in a large pot. Salt boiling water and add pasta. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until pasta is just tender and the tortellini are floating like buoys. Drain tortellini, then cool the cooked pasta by spreading them out on a large plate or a cookie sheet in a single layer.
Coarsely chop baby spinach. Combine with artichoke pieces, roasted red pepper and red onion. Chop garlic, then add salt to it and mash it into a paste with the flat of your knife. Transfer garlic paste to a small bowl and add lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar to it. Whisk in oil, thyme and pepper. Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to the salad. Dress salad and gently toss. Serve or refrigerate.