Sweet Beet Dressed Slaw
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 2 small to medium-sized red beets, peeled and grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 8 to 10 radishes, julienned
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 bias cut scallions
- 2 rounded spoonfuls dill pickle relish
Preheat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat with 3 turns of the pan of extra-virgin olive oil, about 3 tablespoons. Once you see the oil ripple in the pan add the grated beets, season with some salt and pepper and cook stirring every now and then until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the beets to a bowl and let them cool down a bit. Add the mustard and the vinegar to the beets. Whisk in the remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a slow and steady stream. Add the fresh dill, radishes, shredded cabbage, sliced scallions and relish and toss to combine, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve now or the next day.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.