- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey or chopped leftover turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock (recommended: Kitchen Basics)
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
- 1 very ripe banana
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 2 cups sharp shredded yellow Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups all natural apple sauce
- 1/2 cup good quality whole berry cranberry sauce (recommended: Ocean Spray)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 pints French vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans, available on baking aisle
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a deep skillet or a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add meat and break up with a wooden spoon, season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
Place sweet potatoes in a pot, cover with water, cover pot, bring to a boil, add salt and cook 15 minutes until tender.
Add onions, carrots and celery into the turkey. Stir, and cook for 5 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and whisk 1 minute. Whisk in stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Cook a few minutes to thicken.
Stir peas into meat and turn heat off.
Drain potatoes and return pot to heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice banana and add potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes hot sauce. Mash potatoes and banana to combine, adjust seasoning. Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover potatoes with cheese and place in the oven to melt cheese, about 5 minutes.
For dessert, warm the apple and cranberry sauces in microwave or in a small pot over low heat and season with cinnamon and orange zest. Place a little cran-applesauce in the bottom of a sundae dish, top with 2 scoops ice cream, more sauce and whipped cream, garnish with chopped pecans.