Breakfast Burrito Kit
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 pound thin bacon
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 24 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Several dashes hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Jack
- 24 small whole wheat tortillas (fajita size; if they don't have whole wheat in this small size, buy regular)
- 1 jar salsa
- 2 to 3 cups grated Cheddar Jack, for topping
For the filling: Cook the sausage in a large skillet, crumbling it fine. Drain on a paper towel. Fry the bacon in the same skillet until crisp. Drain on a paper towel, let cool and then crumble into tiny pieces. Saute the jalapenos, onions and bell peppers in the same skillet until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, beat the eggs in a bowl with the half-and-half, seasoned salt, hot sauce and black pepper.
Turn the skillet heat to low and pour in the egg mixture. Add the sausage and crumbled bacon. Slowly cook the eggs, using a wooden spatula to push them around the pan until they're totally cooked through. Stir in the cheese until melted.
For the burritos: Warm the tortillas using your favorite method, and add some of the filling to each. Top with salsa and grated cheese, then roll up and eat.
If making ahead to reheat in batches, allow the filling mixture to cool completely, then transfer to a container and refrigerate until using. To serve, heat the number of tortillas and the quantity of filling you need in a microwave. Top with salsa and grated cheese, then roll up and eat.
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond