- Total Time:
- 25 hr 40 min
- 30 min
- 24 hr
- 1 hr 10 min
- 10 to 12 servings
- Skillet Cornbread, recipe follows, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups finely diced celery (leaves included)
- 2 carrots, peeled and very finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Skillet Cornbread:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 whole egg
Spread the Skillet Cornbread and French bread cubes out on 2 baking sheets and let them dry for about 24 hours until totally crisp. Once dry, transfer the cubes to a large mixing bowl and toss to mix them up a bit.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Warm up a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the butter. When it's melted, add the celery, carrots and onions, and cook for a few minutes until the onions are almost translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the rosemary, thyme, sage and turmeric. Gradually ladle the broth mixture into the bread, tossing lightly as you go. Keep gradually adding the broth mixture, tasting as you go and adding more seasoning and herbs if needed. Add salt carefully. You don't want to over salt your stuffing. If the mixture is not quite moist enough, add a bit more chicken broth and stir. Stir in the fresh parsley.Skillet Cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the shortening in a cast-iron skillet. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk and egg until fully combined. Slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring until well combined. Melt the remaining 1/4 cup melted shortening and add to the batter, stirring constantly. Pour into the hot skillet, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.