Restaurant-Style Smashed Potatoes
- 5 whole large red potatoes
- 1 stick butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 whole green onions, sliced, plus more for topping
- Salt (add plenty!)
- Freshly ground black pepper (ditto!)
- 3/4 cup French fried onions
Poke a few holes in the potatoes and nuke (or bake in a 400 degree F oven) until fork-tender. Add to a large bowl and smash with a potato smasher.
Immediately add the softened butter, cheese, sour cream, bacon and green onions, and stir with a rubber spatula. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the French fried onions and fold in. Serve hot, sprinkling on extra green onions.
Yummy with grilled steak or chicken.
2012 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved