Roast Turkey Breast
- 1 (6 to 7-pound) turkey breast on the bone, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Aromatics and seasonings (recommended: garlic, fresh herbs, citrus zest, spices, etc.)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered
- Roast Turkey Breast Variations, recipes follow
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a small bowl, combine the softened butter with chosen aromatics and seasonings and salt and pepper.
Carefully lift the skin from the meat and rub half of the seasoned butter directly on the turkey breast. Rub the rest of the seasoned butter on the skin. Season the turkey generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Scatter the vegetables on the bottom of a roasting pan just large enough to hold the turkey. Set the meat breast-side up in the pan. Roast for about 2 hours or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees F. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil for 20 minutes. The breast temperature will continue to rise as it rests. Carve the breast and serve with the pan juices.
Cook's Note: A shallow baking pan will yield the best results when HYPERLINK "http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--644/roasting-a-turkey-turkey-cooking-times.asp" roasting a turkey breast, allowing air to flow completely around the turkey breast.
Roasting times for a turkey breast cooked in a 325 degrees F oven:
Unstuffed, a 2 to 3-pound turkey will cook from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Unstuffed, a 4 to 6-pound turkey will cook from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours
Unstuffed, a 7 to 8-pound turkey will cook from 2 1/4 to 3 1/4 hours; if stuffed, it will cook in 3 to 4 hours.
Roasted Turkey Breast Variations:
Recipe courtesy of Kelsey Nixon