Asian Apple Ginger Slaw
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peeled, finely minced fresh ginger root (about 1-ounce, a 1 to 1 1/2-inch piece)
- 1 clove garlic, gently crushed with the blade of a knife and quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut julienne and tossed with lemon juice to prevent discoloring
- 1 head cabbage, core removed and sliced chiffonnade or shredded
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges, or 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
Turn on the blender and while it's running, add one at a time through the feed tube, the vinegar, fresh ginger, garlic, parsley and mayonnaise, and blend together until a smooth paste has formed. With the power still on, pour the olive oil in a thin stream through the blender feed opening. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper,
Toss together apples, cabbage and onion, and stir in enough of the dressing to coat. Gently fold in most of tomato wedges, reserving some for garnish. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) if necessary. Serve chilled, garnished with reserved tomato wedges, and with the remaining dressing on the side.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.