- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 2/3 cup shredded Cheddar (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- 3 tablespoons your choice of barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: HP)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
For the grits:
Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepot, slowly stir in grits, return to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cheese, butter, heavy cream, crumbled bacon, and salt, to taste. Cover and let sit while you cook the fish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
Combine barbecue sauce, steak sauce, and cilantro, and set aside until needed. Season salmon with salt, and grill salmon. (Cook over indirect heat if using gas grill.) Leave undisturbed for the first 3 minutes to let the caramelization process begin to prevent the flesh from tearing. Flip the fillets and cook the other side the same way. Remove from heat, brush sauce over and finish for about 2 to 3 minutes in the oven.
Spoon some grits in center of plate, top with a piece of salmon and sprinkle with mint.