Caramelized Onion Flatbread with Spiced Olive Oil
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 10 min
- 20 min
- 45 min
- 8 servings
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (combination thyme, rosemary and oregano leaves)
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large skillet, over medium-low heat saute the onions and garlic in butter for 20 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized, stirring with a wooden spoon, throughout the cooking process. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Turn dough onto a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan. Press the dough out into a circle about 10 inches in diameter with your hands; (this does not have to be perfect). Using the handle end of a wooden spoon handle, make deep indentations about 1-inch apart on top of the dough. Top with the caramelized onions and sprinkle with fresh herbs and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.
Combine the oil with chili flakes in a small bowl. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to let the chili flavor infuse into the oil
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvine