Catfish Sandwich with Remoulade
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup mayo or mild aioli
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and minced
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons finely minced celery
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 4 anchovies, rinsed and minced
- 1 teaspoon dry English mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt/ pepper blend
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Catfish Sandwich:
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Four 6-inch brioche or kaiser buns
- Butter, for toasting
- Four 5-ounce catfish fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 2 cups egg wash (equal parts milk and egg)
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded romaine
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
For the remoulade: In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, mayo, vinegar, capers and horseradish. Then add the celery, onions and anchovies to the above mixture. Then add the dry mustard, paprika, salt/pepper blend and cayenne. Mix well and store up to 7 days. Best to prepare 1 day in advance and do not puree or pulse the vegetables, they should be hand cut. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
For the catfish: Preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. Then toast the buns in a skillet with warmed butter over medium heat until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
In batches, lightly coat the fish fillets with the flour/spice mixture, tap off excess any flour and then dip the fillets into the egg wash. Finally finish the fillets in the cornmeal. Then drop the breaded fillets in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the fish from the oil and allow any excess oil to drip off.
To build the sandwiches, toss the lettuce with the remoulade, and then place on the bottom bun. Add the tomatoes, onions, fish and the top bun. Serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.