Cayenne Fried Chicken
- 3 to 4 liters canola oil, or as needed to deep fry
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 bone-in chicken wings and/or thighs, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 to 2 cups buttermilk as need to moisten chicken
Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F or as instructed in the manufacturer's instructions for similar foods. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper, and mix well to make chicken coating. Add coating to a plastic food storage bag in batches. Moisten chicken with buttermilk, shake in bag of coating, and allow excess to fall away.
Deep-fry chicken until crispy and transfer to a baking pan. Bake in 350 degree F oven until cooked through.