Gnocchi Bolognese with Ricotta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground meat of choice (beef, veal or pork)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 cups (2 quarts) prepared red sauce, such as marinara
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups cooked gnocchi
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat to the verge of smoking. Add the ground meat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to stir and cook until the meat is medium well, about 5 minutes. Next, deglaze the pan with the wine, stirring and scraping. Then add the onions and continue to cook until well cooked off, an additional 5 minutes.
To the same pan, add the red sauce, thyme, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the cream and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Add the cooked gnocchi and stir with a spoon to allow the sauce to coat the gnocchi. This should take 2 minutes.
To serve, spoon the sauced gnocchi into a bowl, top with the ricotta and finish with Parmesan cheese.