Green and Red Tomato Salad
- Salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, then minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, rinsed and dried in a salad spinner then cut into strips about 1/2-inch wide and 2-inches long
- 1/2 head red cabbage, rinsed and dried in a salad spinner then cut into strips about 1/2-inch wide and 2-inches long
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch discs
- 4 medium red tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into wedges
Through the feed opening of a running blender, add 1 at a time, the vinegar, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. Then, leaving the blender running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Set aside until needed.
Toss together the lettuce, cabbage, and cucumbers with enough of the dressing to coat, and gently fold in the tomatoes. Serve family style with additional dressing on the side.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay