- 2 pounds haricots verts (French thin green beans)
- 2 large red onions, finely diced
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, unsalted
- 2 (10-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 cans French-fried onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the haricots verts in hot water for about 3 to 5 minutes then remove from heat and shock in iced water. Drain and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large skillet saute the chopped onion in butter. Then add the cooled beans and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the canned mushroom soup and mix well.
Transfer to a buttered casserole dish and top with the diced tomato, French-fried onions, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes.