- For the meatloaf:
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 fresh chopped parsley leaves (about 1-ounce)
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup plus 1 tablespoon to brush on top
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (cut 1/2 of this amount into cubes), divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms (about 3 ounces), cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup demi-glace
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
For the meatloaf:
In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, and onion. Add eggs, salt, pepper, 3/4 cup ketchup, beef, veal and pork, and combine thoroughly until evenly mixed, using your hands if necessary. Form into a loaf in a baking pan and brush top with 1 tablespoon ketchup. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
About 10 to 20 minutes before the meatloaf is done, begin the sauce. Melt half of the butter in a saute pan (reserving the other 1/4 cup) over medium-high heat, and saute onion until it caramelizes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they become tender and give up their juices. Strain and set aside. In another saucepan, whisk together demi-glace, tomato paste, and red wine and simmer over low heat, allowing to reduce and thicken. Just before serving sauce, whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of cubed butter, and add mushrooms. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Slice meatloaf and transfer to a serving dish. Spoon sauce over and serve additional sauce on the side.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.