Shrimp Scampi Del Rey
- 1/2 cup all-purposes flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 1 pound (about 25 pieces) (21/25 count) shrimp, cleaned and shells removed
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter (you will need 1/4 cup to begin with if clarifying your own)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 fresh lemon, cut in 1/2
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Season flour with black pepper and crab boil seasoning and dredge shrimp in flour mixture. Heat clarified butter over medium-high heat and add shrimp and garlic. When shrimp begins to turn pink, douse with white wine to de-glaze pan and squeeze just 1/2 of the lemon over the shrimp (reserving the other half for later), then transfer shrimp to a utility platter, cover and set aside in a warm place.
Reduce heat to medium and to the liquids in the pan, add just 3 tablespoons of the fresh basil (reserving balance for garnish), capers, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and white mushrooms and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes to integrate flavors. Then, add the can of tomatoes in puree and allow to cook, partially covered, for about 25 minutes to reduce and thicken, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, as needed.
While the sauce is reducing, bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil. Add the rice along with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon butter. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes leaving undisturbed. Then remove from heat and leave rice covered for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat and stir in cream. Reserve 4 pieces of shrimp for garnish and stir rest of shrimp into sauce. Place rice in center of serving dish. Spoon sauce with shrimp onto rice, and garnish with 4 reserved pieces of shrimp. Squeeze remaining 1/2 of lemon over shrimp. Garnish with reserved freshly chopped basil and serve.
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvine with V. O'Reilly Copyright 2007