Southern Fried Catfish
- For the tartar sauce:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions (white and tender green parts only), minced
- 2 teaspoons drained sweet pickle relish
- For the fried catfish:
- 1 liter canola, approximately, as needed for deep-frying
- 3 cups cornmeal, approximately, as needed for breading stage
- 2 tablespoons Irvine Spices Cajun Blackfish spice (you may need more if you use more cornmeal
- for breading)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds catfish fillets
- Lemon wedges, for service
Heat oil in deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Combine cornmeal, Blackfish Spice and salt and pepper, to taste. Dredge catfish fillets in seasoned cornmeal. Deep-fry coated pieces in batches until they are cooked through, about 10 minutes. (For basic reference, use the manufacturer's instructions for your deep fryer for similar foods, then test the fish see that it is fork tender.) Allow to drain on paper towels and serve with tartar sauce and fresh lemon wedges (to squeeze lemon juice over the fish).
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse