This sauce is perfect over seafood, grilled or roasted chicken and turkey, broiled flank steak, and roasted vegetables; it's also amazing with pasta. Try substituting an equal amount of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes for the roasted red peppers.
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a blender, combine the red peppers, broth, vinegar, and oil and process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Let come to room temperature and store in a plastic container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 3 months.