Shrimp in Salsa Verde and Roasted Garlic-Artichoke Hummus with Flatbread
- 1 head peeled garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts, strained
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, as optional garnish
Flatbread, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap garlic cloves in foil and roast 15 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine beans, artichoke hearts, tahini, and lemon juice. Process until blended. When garlic is soft, add half of the cloves (about 1/3 cup) to bean mixture and process until smooth. Set aside. Reserve remaining roasted garlic (about 1/3 cup) for another recipe. Set hummus aside.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, until cooked through or opaque.
Spoon salsa verde onto a serving platter and top with shrimp. Sprinkle scallions over top, if desired. Serve hummus and flatbread on the side.
Copyright 2006, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved