Shrimp in Salsa Verde and Roasted Garlic-Artichoke Hummus with Flatbread
- 1 head peeled garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts, strained
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, as optional garnish
Flatbread, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap garlic cloves in foil and roast 15 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine beans, artichoke hearts, tahini, and lemon juice. Process until blended. When garlic is soft, add half of the cloves (about 1/3 cup) to bean mixture and process until smooth. Set aside. Reserve remaining roasted garlic (about 1/3 cup) for another recipe. Set hummus aside.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, until cooked through or opaque.
Spoon salsa verde onto a serving platter and top with shrimp. Sprinkle scallions over top, if desired. Serve hummus and flatbread on the side.
Copyright 2006, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller