Turkey-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound Turkey Sweet-N-Sour Meatballs, diced, recipe follows or crumbled cooked ground turkey
- 1/3 cup sour cream, lowfat or regular
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped artichoke hearts (oil or water-packed)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Orzo Pesto, recipe follows
- Sweet-N-Sour Turkey Meatballs:
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning or poultry seasoning
- 1 egg white
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Orzo Pesto:
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine diced meatballs or other cooked ground turkey, sour cream, artichoke hearts, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan Cheese, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Mix gently to combine. Spoon mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan over filling in boats.
Bake zucchini boats 10 to 12 minutes, until top is golden brown and filling is heated through. Serve with Orzo Pesto.Sweet-N-Sour Turkey Meatballs:
In a large bowl, combine turkey, garlic and herb seasoning, egg white and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Mix well and shape mixture into about 32 meatballs. Place meatballs in bottom of slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Yield: 8 servingsOrzo Pesto:
Cook and drain orzo according to package directions. Toss with pesto and serve.
Copyright 2006, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved