Ruth Reichl, the celebrated food writer and editor in chief of Gourmet magazine, is a regular Greenmarket shopper. She says this recipe works very well with mushy apricots, too ripe for easy eating, as well as with underripe apricots, which will require more sugar. (You can also use peaches: quarter them after pitting.) Serve some whipped cream or ice cream on top.
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (more if using underripe fruit)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds apricots, peeled, halved, and pitted
- 1 prepared piecrust
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Pile the apricots into the prepared piecrust. Spread the butter mixture on top, patting it all the way to the edges.
Bake the pie in the bottom third of the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake 45 to 50 minutes longer, until the topping is golden brown and the apricots are very tender. Cover loosely with foil if the top is getting too brown. Let cool on a rack.