Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon Dressing
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 piece bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1 teaspoon aged sherry or red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt plus and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 1 to 2 large eggs
- 1 -1/2 cups mixed greens, washed and spun dried
- 1 or 2 (1/2-inch) thick slices of a baguette or sourdough bread, lightly toasted
Heat the oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Saute the bacon strips until golden and crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain and reserve. Pour off the oil and bacon fat, and reserve. Return the pan to the heat and add the vinegar and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Whisk in about 4 teaspoons of the reserved pan drippings to make a dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Fill a small sauce pan with 3 inches of water. Add the distilled vinegar. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, adjust heat to so the water is just under a simmer. Break the egg(s) into the water and poach to desired doneness, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile toss the salad with the reserved bacon and the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
Put the salad on a plate and place the toasts on the salad. Remove eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and pat the back of the spoon with paper towels. Place egg on toast and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.