- Shell Stock:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 20 prawn shells
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into large dice
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 stalk celery, cut into large dice
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into large dice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds wild king salmon, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
For the shell stock: In a large saucepan over low heat, add the oil and sweat the prawn shells with the onion, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, lemon, and tomato for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and water and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and reserve.
For the chowder: In a large saucepan over low heat, add the oil and sweat the onions with the bacon and celery for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the potatoes and sweat for another 5 minutes. Add the thyme, shell stock, and cream and bring to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the salmon and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. For service, garnish with tarragon and chives.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.