Salt Fish Fricassee
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 1/2 cup
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound salted cod fish, soaked in cold water overnight, changing water about 3 times
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced scallion, for garnish
In a large skillet over high heat put 1/2 cup olive oil, add the onions garlic, and thyme. Allow the onions to cook for 6 minutes.
Cut the salt fish into 1-inch pieces, and add them to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, add the tomatoes, and the rest of the oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and let simmer for 15 minutes more. Garnish with sliced scallions.
Recipe courtesy of Cheryl Smith