Cajun Catfish Cakes with Remoulade
- 4 catfish fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup crackers, crushed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Season the catfish on both sides with 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Brush the grill pan with some of the canola oil and grill the catfish until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and let cool.
Into a large bowl, add the cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, mustard, and egg. Shred the fish with a fork and add to the bowl. Fold everything together. Form into 8 small cakes and set them aside.
While the cakes are cooking, make the remoulade: In a bowl, stir together the remaining 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice, and garlic. (Reserve 1/2 cup remoulade for Round 2 Recipe Cajun Quesadillas.)
Serve the catfish cakes with the remoulade.