Champagne Poached Chicken with Grape Salad
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 (750-ml) bottle Champagne
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white sauce mix (recommended: Knorr)
- Grape Salad, recipe follows
- Grape Salad:
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large straight sided frying pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until soft, about 2 minutes.
Add Champagne, parsley and lemon juice to pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
Slide chicken into Champagne mixture and poach 15 minutes, turning once. (Use an instant-read thermometer to be sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.) Remove chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate; set aside.
Ladle 1/2 cup of poaching liquid into a small pot over medium heat. Add cream and bring to just under a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Whisk in white sauce mix. Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
To serve chicken, spoon sauce over top and garnish with parsley and grape salad.Grape Salad:
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper Use as garnish for poached chicken.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine