- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Mexican seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 1 scallion, sliced
Add olive oil to a large skillet over high heat. Season stew meat with salt and pepper and sear on all sides.
Place in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add onion, green chiles, and bacon. Add seared stew meat.
In a small bowl, whisk together tomato puree, Mexican seasoning, chili powder, salt and pepper and beef stock. Pour into slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 4 to 6 hours. Serve in bowls garnished with scallion