Round 2 Recipe: French Stew
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 sausage links, any kind, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 roasted tomato halves
- 1 1/2 cups beans with bacon, from Beans and Bacon Macaroni, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Beans and Bacon Macaroni:
- 8 ounces bacon
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Two 15-ounce cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. When it is hot, add the sausage pieces and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add the reserved tomatoes, reserved beans and chicken broth. Cook until everything is hot and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until they are browned, about 5 minutes.
To serve, divide the sausage and beans into 2 bowls and spoon the breadcrumbs on top.Beans and Bacon Macaroni:
Remove all except 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and put it over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, being careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the tomatoes and beans and cook until the beans are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and parsley. Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the Round 2 Recipe French Bean Stew.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.