Spanish Chicken with Spicy Lemon Rice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, diced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced into thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives (with pimientos)
- Special equipment: slow cooker
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large zip-top bag, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat completely.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the canola oil. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the chicken is cooking, to a slow cooker add the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Top with the chicken thighs.
In same skillet used to brown the chicken, add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour over top of the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours, or until the chicken is extremely tender.
In a medium pot, combine 2 cups water, the rice, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, juice of half the lemon and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
To serve, spoon the rice onto a deep-sided platter and ladle the Spanish chicken and vegetables over top. Garnish with the olives and squeeze over the remaining lemon juice. Reserve 2 chicken thighs and 1 cup of the vegetables for Round 2 Recipe - Pita Pile on with Spicy Yogurt Sauce.
Recipe copyright Sandra Lee, 2011