Steamed Broccoli with Ricotta, Beer and Chive Sauce
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup amber beer (measure without foam), plus a splash for steaming
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for steaming
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Chopped chives, for garnish
In a large pot with a steamer insert, bring salted water and a splash of beer to a boil. Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Keep warm.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in ricotta cheese, beer, and sour cream until smooth and heated through. Add salt and white pepper. Spoon the sauce over steamed broccoli. Garnish with chives and serve.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee