- 5 cups sifted all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
- 2 1/2 cups mixed light and dark raisins, soaked in water for 15 to 20 minutes and drained
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter 2 (9 by 5-inch) bread pans.
Add the buttermilk and egg to the flour mixture. Stir until well moistened. Shape dough into 2 loaves and place in the pans.
Bake for 1 hour. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool in the pans for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.