Shrimp Ceviche "Cocktail"
Recipe courtesy Rick Bayless,
Bayless: "Ceviche is best made the day it is served. Flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance."
- 1 quart salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 generous pound unpeeled small shrimp (about 41 to 50 count to a pound)
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (such as Tamazula, Valentina or Bufalo)
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin (optional, but smoothes out sharpness)
- 1 cup peeled, diced cucumber or jicama (or 1/2 cup each)
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Several lime slices, for garnish
- Tostadas or tortilla chips or saltine crackers, for serving
Cooking and marinating the shrimp: Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add shrimp, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, set pot lid askew and pour off all liquid. Replace lid and set aside, letting shrimp steam in closed pot for 10 minutes. Spread out shrimp in large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel shrimp (and devein, if desired). Toss shrimp with remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
The flavorings: In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid. Add to shrimp bowl along with chopped cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jicama and avocado. Mix gently, taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate up to a few hours, or serve immediately.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Shrimp and Mahi Mahi Citrus Ceviche, Roasted Shrimp Cocktail, Ceviche (Shrimp and Grouper) with Serrano Chiles, Mango, Smoked Tomatoes, Crispy Plantain Chips, Dinner Parties Recipes, Salmon Mousse Recipes, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Cheese Dip Recipes, Shrimp Cocktail Recipes, Cucumber Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.