Sloppy Jane Sliders
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 24 small potato rolls, lightly toasted
In a very large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the ground turkey, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until browned through, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bell peppers and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 10 to 15 minutes.
To serve, divide the meat mixture among the toasted potato rolls.
Adapted from "Kitchen Confidence" by Kelsey Nixon. Copyright Clarkson Potter 2014. Provided courtesy of Kelsey Nixon. All rights reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro