Spanish Rice Casserole: Paella
- 4 ounces chorizo, cut into brunoise
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 6 ounces Spanish onion, cut into brunoise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 chicken bone-in thighs, quartered
- 8 ounces tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1 3/4 pounds long-grained rice, soaked in cool water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, heated to a boil
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, soaked in 1 cup stock for 20 minutes
- 3 (4-ounce) shell-on lobster tails, quartered
- 10 snails, cleaned
- 5 ounces squid, cleaned and sliced into thin rings
- 10 small clams, scrubbed, opened, and upper shell removed
- 5 ounces fresh pea pods, washed and trimmed
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
Add chicken pieces to pan and cook until brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and hold at 200 degrees, in the oven.
Return chicken pieces to pan and add boiling stock. Season, to taste, and add saffron stock.
Add pea pods to the pan and cook, covered for an additional 2 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Derek Heim
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray