- Canola oil, to cook
- 1 small onion, roughly diced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, roughly diced
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, roughly diced
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 quart cold soda water
- 4 single chicken breasts, skinless, 3 by 1/2 by 1/2-inch strips
- Salt, to taste
In a hot sauce pot coated with oil, saute the onions, ginger and carrots until soft, about 8 minutes. Season and add the pineapple, juice and vinegar. Cook until pineapple is soft, about 5 minutes. Puree mixture and check for seasoning. In another sauce pot filled 1/3 full of oil, heat to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne and sesame seeds. Whisk in the soda until a pancake batter consistency is achieved. Dip the chicken fingers individually in the batter and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
PLATING Serve the soup in a small bowl on the same plate as a pile of mac-n-cheese. Place fingers on a plate around a small bowl of dipping sauce.