- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 4 1/2 ounces
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped, 4 ounces
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
- 12 maraschino cherries on the stem
Special Equipment: 12 capacity cupcake tin, paper liners
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the cupcake tray with paper liners.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, butter and vanilla, set aside.
Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment and beat until the mixture is thick and forms ribbons, about 5 minutes. With mixer on medium speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture, until just incorporated. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips and cherries. Fill the cupcake tins 3/4 full with the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool for 10 minutes. Put a good-sized dollop of marshmallow cream on each cupcake, sprinkle with chocolate shavings and top with a cherry. Serve immediately.