Sweet and Salty Double Nut Toffee Brownie Bars
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 cup butter for toffee
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup for toffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large fresh egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped quality milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 cup chopped roasted and salted pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon Maldon or other sea salt crystals
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square metal cake pan with parchment.
In large bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons melted butter and the melted chocolate. Blend in granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in egg. Then stir in flour. Spread in pan and bake for 15 minutes, remove and leave oven on.
Heat 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup of the brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Pour over brownie base and bake 7 minutes more. Remove from oven and sprinkle with milk chocolate, let sit 5 minutes, and spread to cover the top. Dust with ground almonds and then pecans. Sprinkle with salt. Press down pecans. Cool, then freeze 30 minutes before cutting. Serve at room temperature.