Sweet and Salty Double Nut Toffee Brownie Bars
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 cup butter for toffee
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup for toffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large fresh egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped quality milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 cup chopped roasted and salted pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon Maldon or other sea salt crystals
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square metal cake pan with parchment.
In large bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons melted butter and the melted chocolate. Blend in granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in egg. Then stir in flour. Spread in pan and bake for 15 minutes, remove and leave oven on.
Heat 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup of the brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Pour over brownie base and bake 7 minutes more. Remove from oven and sprinkle with milk chocolate, let sit 5 minutes, and spread to cover the top. Dust with ground almonds and then pecans. Sprinkle with salt. Press down pecans. Cool, then freeze 30 minutes before cutting. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy Susan Scarborough, Fernandina Beach, FL