Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped and drained plum tomatoes from a can
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Sour cream and finely chopped fresh chives, as accompaniments
In a large heavy pot heat olive oil over moderate heat and cook the onions until translucent. Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Add the cabbage and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer the soup, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes until the cabbage is very tender. Taste soup and adjust seasoning with more balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt and/or pepper. Stir in parsley. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.