- 2 medium yellow onions or sweet onions, when available
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 48 ounces root beer
- Hot dogs, cooked, for serving
- Brown mustard, for serving
- Mayonnaise, for serving
Peel the onions, cut in half and slice into 1-inch pieces. Add the onions and the vegetable oil to a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, and saute until soft. Stir in the black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and brown sugar until incorporated. Add half of the root beer and let reduce until starting to get thick. Stir in the remaining root beer and continue to reduce until the liquid is almost completely evaporated.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.