Sweet Potato Pudding
- Softened butter, for the pan
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 3 pounds white-fleshed sweet potatoes, called boniato or batata
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Using the grater attachment on a food processor, grate the potatoes and put in a large bowl. Add the flour, coconut, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and mix well.
Heat the sugar, coconut milk, and evaporated milk in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
Pour the coconut milk mixture into the potato mixture and mix well. Pour the mixture into the baking dish, smooth the top, and bake until set, about 1 1/2 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence