Tapenade Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Kalamata or Nicoise olives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 2 anchovies, rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, zest finely chopped and juice set aside
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup pure olive oil, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons to saute chicken
- 8 chicken breasts, preferably boneless with skin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place the olives, garlic, capers, anchovies and lemon zest in food processor. Process until well mixed together. Stop machine and scrape down ingredients. Turn back on and drizzle in olive oil until a paste is formed. You should add enough oil to bind the mixture, but not too much so as to make it oily. Taste for seasoning. Add the lemon juice and process for a few more seconds. You might want to balance it with additional garlic, capers or anchovy, if desired.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gently loosen the skin of the chicken breasts, without removing it. Place the tapenade in a pastry bag or plastic bag with a corner snipped off, and squeeze about 1to 2 tablespoons of mixture under the skin of the chicken. Use your fingers to even it out under the skin.
Heat the 2 to 3 tablespoons of pure olive oil in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, place the chicken breasts in, skin side down. Saute until golden brown. Turn them over and cook for no more than 1 minute. Remove to baking dish and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Place chicken breasts in oven and finish baking until tender and cooked, approximately 15 minutes. Remove the breasts from oven and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating. May be ser
Recipe courtesy of Mondavi