- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1/8 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper (less than 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 pound (2 large half breasts) boneless skinless chicken breast; sliced
- completely in half making 4 pieces
- 1 -ounce tequila
- 4 ounces shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Optional garnish (2 tablespoons each serving):
- 1 small red onion, diced (use remainder of onion for marinade)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 whole green onion, chopped
- 1 curly "Mexican" pepper or cubano, diced
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro leaves
- Salsa picante
- Sour cream, in a squeeze bottle
- 1 tablespoon sliced black olives
- 1 lemon and lime, cut in thin wedges
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a bowl, place 2 tablespoons canola oil, all marinade ingredients, and chicken, and mix thoroughly.
In a large saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high to high heat. Place the coated chicken breasts in the hot pan and sear on one side until golden brown for about 1 minute. Turn and sear the other side for a few seconds more, and sizzle with the tequila.
Remove chicken from oven and top with the shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for just a minute to melt the cheese and remove. Serve and enjoy!
Make it Supreme!
Before serving, top with sour cream, salsa picante, and other vegetables for garnish.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray