- 2 tablespoons vegetable or other light oil, eyeball it
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 6 ounces, about 1/3 pound, shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped into 1-inch pieces, whites and greens
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons mild or hot red curry paste
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup "light" or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce, 1/2 small head
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish
Heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil over high heat. Add shrimp and toss 2 minutes then add the mushrooms, garlic, ginger, scallions, salt and pepper and cook 3 to 4 minutes more tossing constantly. Stir in curry paste, roasted red pepper and coconut milk and reduce heat to low. Simmer a few minutes then stir in peas to heat through.
In a sauce pot bring chicken stock, butter and the lime zest to a boil. Add couscous and stir. Turn off heat, cover pot and let stand. Add basil and the lime juice to the pot and fluff with a fork.
Serve couscous topped with a layer of chopped lettuce then a few ladles of red curry shrimp. Garnish with chopped peanuts.